1. Define a geographic catchment area, usually the school district.
2. Make a list of organizations in that area:
Parents (including parents of young children)
Colleges and Universities
Alternative schools and
Local and Regional government
Young people (students, alumni, and drop outs)
Houses of Faith
Community Leaders or gatekeepers
Parks and Recreation
Service Organizations (Rotary, Kiwanis, etc)
Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, YMCA, YWCA, Boys and Girls Clubs
3. Include all members of the school staff:
Specials: Art, Music, PE, Media
Central office staff
5. Use the telephone book to complete this list.
6. Drive around the community and look for
groups that were missed.
7. Develop a broad-based coalition.
8. Ask them to help build a community profile:
who we are and who we would like to be.
9. Provide exercises where they
values needed in the community.
10. Ask each to say how their organization can
foster character development in young people.
11. Make a plan with a variety of programs.
12. Make a time table showing who will do what.
13. Implement the plan, involving as many groups
14. Assess its effectiveness, and use the
information for the next plan.
Workshop in Community-wide Character Education
Return to Home Page